Mu Alpha Theta
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elections

4 posters

Go down

Elections Empty Elections

Post by Ani Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:07 pm

In response to An's posts in the Officers section:

"If any of the following people becomes math club president or officers, all of us who are devoted to math club should drop out of math club : Solomon Wong, Stanley Verghese, Tri Ngyuen, Ramona Yu, Rahdika Shah, Connie Wang, ect. ect.
I'm really not joking, if this happens I will be the first to drop out." - An

Well, I wouldnt drop out, that seems a mite too extreme. But realistically, this wont happen. Math Club's numbers have really dwindled this year down to us, and I think the positions are pretty much set. The thing is that we cannot deny the right to vote. The people who vote generally do go to the minimum required contests, but dont do well. We cant penalize based on performance as that defeats the entire purpose of Math Club. Once again, Thankfully, this year the number of extraneous people has dwindled, and those that are extraneous know who is eminent in the club and the performances of each member, so we can hope to not see the ones who deserve the leadership positions denied.
Ani
Ani
Vice-President
Vice-President

Male Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-05-02

Back to top Go down

Elections Empty Re: Elections

Post by Nameless Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:35 pm

"We cant penalize based on performance as that defeats the entire purpose of Math Club."
No Ani, you obviously don't understand my objective at all.
I don't care if they do well or not. It's the fact that these people join for the sake of joining, not because they enjoy it like you and I.
Nameless
Nameless

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Ani Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:17 pm

Nameless wrote:"We cant penalize based on performance as that defeats the entire purpose of Math Club."
No Ani, you obviously don't understand my objective at all.
I don't care if they do well or not. It's the fact that these people join for the sake of joining, not because they enjoy it like you and I.

Quite on the contrary An, there is no way of identifying who is actually interested in math club, since everyone goes to the recommended amount of tournaments. All the people you listed are nice people who do go to tournaments, but are not prominent members. Yes, they may not place, but at least they show up and somewhat help morale. Many of them do come to practice, and would be willing to practice more, if somebody would reach out to them. (Notice I said many, not all).
For example:
Connie and Ramona went to state last year and gave up a weekend. Notice that state was not a required tournament to go to, and they had already gone to the minimum amount of tournaments.
Solomon has shown up to every single contest except for one this year, and the only reason he wont be going to state is that he'll be out of town. If anyone, he has the most willingness to fit and and be part of math club.
Ani
Ani
Vice-President
Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:59 pm

We can still go to contests and enjoy Math Club without having to shun it entirely. Just because certain people are named as officers doesn't diminish the respect for the real honorary math club members (hence the special group on forum).
Michael
Michael
Graduated member
Graduated member

Male Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-04-30

http://elkinschess.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunderflash Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:16 pm

Not to mention the fact that being one of the good people in Math Club is not a requirement to be an officer. I mean, yes, it really helps, but it not a requirement. A CEO of a oil buisness does not need to know every step of the process to make gasoline - they need to be a good buisnessman. The officers of Math Club do not need to be steller mathmaticians, but being the type of person that can get additional (good) members to join as well as organizing the club better would be great.

I notice that I have show LESS dedication to the math club than some of the people An has listed, yet I am not on the list.
I think we need to think past whether we like the officers or not, and if they will be a good officer.
Thunderflash
Thunderflash

Male Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ani Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Thunderflash wrote:

I notice that I have show LESS dedication to the math club than some of the people An has listed, yet I am not on the list.
I think we need to think past whether we like the officers or not, and if they will be a good officer.

I'm sure you'll beast next year!
Ani
Ani
Vice-President
Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunderflash Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:56 pm

>.>
Sure....