Mu Alpha Theta
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thought provoking

3 posters

Go down

Thought provoking Empty Thought provoking

Post by Nameless Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:56 pm

I ran across a strange thought today, i thought i might share it with you guys.
I was watching a video on cockatoos and their courtship rituals. I saw the objective of animals, which is to breed and start a new generation, and thought about my race, the race of mankind. If it is true that animals ( including humans ) are born to breed and start a new generation, does that mean one has to spend his/her time chasing those of the opposite sex? Does that mean those who choose to be single ( like myself ) are wrong?
Nameless
Nameless

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Thought provoking Empty Re: Thought provoking

Post by Mushal Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:15 am

Good question. Here's how I see it (today):

A biologically successful organism ensures that its genetic material moves into the gene pool of the next generation. There are two strategies to ensure "success." One is to procreate as much as possible in the hopes that one will survive. The other is to procreate relatively few times and invest a large amount of time and energy into making sure that each offspring survives until adulthood. And then there's the third strategy that is often forgotten: A non-breeding individual can assist in the raising of the offspring of closely related individuals in order to ensure that they survive to adulthood with the greatest possible nutritional and educational advantages.

More later...
Mushal
Mushal
Sponsor
Sponsor

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Humans have gone far past their instincts in creating civilization. Although our society is founded on our basic wants, intellectual contributions are just as necessary for advancement. However, one could argue that for those gifted with intelligence finding one of the opposite gender is even more important, as most significant advances for our society generally require thought rather than athletic ability. Whatever your decision now, you still have time in college and later life to find your life goals.
Michael
Michael
Graduated member
Graduated member

Male Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-04-30

http://elkinschess.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mushal Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 am

But Michael, there have been plenty of times when athletic ability was more important than thought. Like the Dark Ages. And the Middle Ages. And look how many significant advances were made then. Oh...wait. *Mushal considers how many important technological advances were lost, and how much life sucked during that time, then revises his position.*

You're absolutely right, Michael. Smile

To continue my thoughts from yesterday, I'll use the example of one of my professors, Dr. Haskell. He and his wife have decided not to have kids, and they live thousands of miles away from any relatives. Therefore, he could be considered biologically unsuccessful. However, he contributes to the development and education of individuals who share many of his traits (intelligence, caring, beards, and appreciation of the natural world). Since these are traits he values, he promotes them, and they have a strong genetic component, he could also be considered biologically successful.

Does that answer your question, An?
Mushal
Mushal
Sponsor
Sponsor

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Nameless Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:40 pm

I understand.
Nameless